History- Faculty of Agriculture
The Samaru Agricultural Research Station was established in 1924 and Shika Livestock farm started in 1928 both of which formed the present Institute for Agricultual research, National Animal Production Research Institute, Division of Agricultural Colleges and faculty of Agriculture. The faculty of Agriculture was established in October, 1962 as one of the four pioneer faculties of Ahmadu Bello University. Initially, the faculty functioned as single unit, with no sub-division into Departments. However, in 1965/66 session, four Departments, Agricultural Economics and Rural Sociology, Animal Science, Plant Science and Soil Science were created. In 1968, The Deaprtment of Crop Protection was carved out of Plant Science while in 1970, the Department of Agronomy was created with responsibility for all teaching and research in Agricultural Engineering, until 1975, when the Department of Agricultural Engineering took off. Thus, the Faculty of has Seven(7) Departments, but in 1976, The Department of Agricultural Engineering was transfered to Faculty of Engineering to enable its graduates qualify to be registered as engineers in Nigeria Inspite of this change, the Department of Agricultural Engineering has maintained its link with the Faculty of Agriculture . Currently, the National University Commission has approved and is awaiting our invitation forverification for four new Departments: Department of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural Extension and Rural Sociology, Fisheries and Forestry and Wildlife. With this new Departments, The Faculty moved from Six(6) to a total of nine(9) Deparments.